CACO2 - Carbon offset program for Alter Eco

Start
June 2017
End
June 2020
Project cost
75 000 €
Role in the project
Carbon accounting
logo_alter_eco.jpg

Countries

Côte d’Ivoire

Fields

Organic Agriculture Biodiversity Climate Forest REDD+

Sectors

Cocoa

Partners

Alter Eco · PCBM - Coopérative des Producteurs de Cacao Bio de la Mé

Main goals

To offset 30% of greenhouse gases emissions of the involved brand, ie. 6,557 tonnes of CO2 for the years 2016, 2017 and 2018

Specific objectives

To demonstrate that the model of Payment for Environmental Services (PES) implemented in the field (premiums of 500 FCFA / kg for organic agroforester cocoa!) has effectively allowed the neutralization of CO2 tonnage required annually by Alter Eco.
This requires calculating the delta between a baseline scenario (what would have happened without the program?) and a project scenario (what will actually happen with the program?)

Beneficiaries

Climate!
Coop. PCBM members
Alter Eco who will is able to value its carbon offset

Results

R1. Reference scenario = 5,672 tonnes of CO2 would have been generated with the conversion of cocoa trees into rubber plantations

R2. Project scenario = 0 tonne of C02 because carbon stocks in the layer of standing cocoa trees are preserved, thanks to agroforestry premium paid by the brand

R3. Delta = 5,672 tonnes of CO2, ie. 85% of the volume to be neutralised, the remaining 15% having been neutralized through the sale of carbon credits (= tons of CO2) generated by the project implemented by Nitidæ around the Gilé National Reserve (Mozambique).

R4. Environmental co-benefits: preservation of a significant biodiversity, with 4,771 recorded elements divided into 218 species, 96 types and 34 families

R5. Social co-benefits: out of the 128 recorded species, 126 are used by local population for artisanal, medicinal, energy or food purposes

Activities

A1. Conduct an exhaustive inventory of the tree layer to assess, as accurately as possible, standing carbon stocks (excluding cocoa trees)

A2. Conduct an ethnobotanical survey of all beneficiaries of the program

A3. Definition of the reference scenario and of the project scenario

Organic cocoa to tackle deforestation (and GHG emissions)!

Related people

img_20180324_093949850.jpg
Agro-Botanist in Côte d'Ivoire

Rolande Ettien

Botanist, Rolande holds a Master 2 in Systematics, Ecology and Biodiversity. She currently holds the position of Agro-Botanist for the Mé REDD+ Project. She mainly brings her expertise on cocoa agroforestry plots, the management of organic cocoa cooperatives and the Organic and Fair Trade certification.

See more
marie.png
Project Manager / Forest & REDD + / France

Marie Nourtier

PhD in Forest sciences conducted at INRA Avignon, EMMAH research lab, she brings her expertise in forest ecology, support for REDD+ mechanism and carbon accounting, Environmental and social impact assessment of projects, project management and supervision of technical work

See more
tio.jpg
Project Officer GIS and remote sensing in Côte d'Ivoire

Tiodionwa Ouattara

Holder of a Master of Remote Sensing and Geographical Information Systems for the Development and Management of Lands and Ecosystems, Tiodionwa joined the team of Nitidæ Côte d'Ivoire in December 2016. He is currently pursuing a thesis dedicated to monitoring (agro)forest dynamics within the framework of the Mé REDD + Project (PRM).

See more